Monday, March 7, 2011

Colors, Colors, Colors!!

Hi Everyone,
I've shared with you many times about how much I love the Nigerian dresses that the women wear. I love the colors and patterns in the fabrics. I would venture to guess that probably 75% of all Nigerian women, go to the material huts in the market and purchase their material and then take the fabric to a dressmaker who then makes their dresses. Included with your dress will always come a large swatch of material that is used for the headwraps that probably 95% of all women wear almost all the time. On Sundays to church, I will wear a headwrap and by the time the service is over, it feels like my head is ready to explode and it always itches for some reason. I'm just not used to wearing something close to my head that way. But to the Nigerian woman, it is very very natural and comfortable.

In the United States, we've become used to wearing alot of solid colors and some flowery prints for a summer dress - but rarely do we wear a dress that is BOLD with all types of abstract designs. Not so here. Even women with a larger frame (that's me folks! - grin) wear these wild patterns and they look beautiful. I'm not brave enough to do it - my loss!!
Speaking of colors - at the Carnival at Hillcrest on Saturday, Sarah won some games which gave her tickets, which allowed her to redeem the tickets for small prizes. One of Sarah's prizes that she picked out was a can of hair spray that sprayed a HOT orange stream onto your hair. Sarah's hair is brown so you couldn't see the full effect of the orange spray so she asked if she could spray my hair. I said (as any good grandma would do) "yes." Voila - the picture below. Cute, huh? With my white hair, you sure could see the color. I got alot of funny stares as we left the carnival and headed for home. It took two good hair scrubbings before the hairspray came fully out. Whew! I was worried there for a little while.
But having all kinds of beautiful colors in fabrics, flowers and bushes, people's skin and yes, even in someone's hair - doesn't it make life interesting? Well, we'll chat again with you soon.
In-joy,
Eileen and Crist


1 comment:

  1. LOVE YOUR "DO", Eileen! You'd be a punk rocker here. You look......STUNNINGLY VIBRANT! :-)

    ReplyDelete