Saturday, January 29, 2011

Life in the City and in the Village

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to show you a few pictures of the differences between the village and the "city." In reality, it's not much different than in the United States. In the city of Jos, it's hustle/bustle, lots of noise, ALOT of traffic and people everywhere.


In the villages, you step back in time. People are walking where they need to go and there will probably be no electricity, running water or indoor plumbing. The huts have no furniture and the children have few toys or none at all.

Life is at a HUGELY (is there such a word?) slower pace. I would imagine that it would be very similar to the American Indians of 100 years ago. Crops are planted, meals are cooked outside, life is hard, and there is little hope of things changing. As we experience these two types of living styles in the relationships we know here in Jos, there is a sadness we are finding in both. Whether you are rich or poor, there is no meaning to life without Christ's peace and hope. There are many many churches in this area but few who are living victorious Christian lives. This makes me sad but allows me to see even more how important it is for our lives to be intertwined with the lives of our Nigerian friends. I'm not really expressing clearly what's in my heart - I'm feeling in a very reflective mood this afternoon, so I'm sharing from what I'm feeling I guess.

We want sooo much for our Nigerian friends to truly feel the Presence of Christ in their lives and to know without a shadow of a doubt how much they are loved by the Creator!!
Below is a quote from John Piper from his book, "Don't Waste Your Life." It struck a cord with me.
"What is the one passion of your life that makes everything else look like rubbish in comparison? Oh, that God would help me waken in you a single passion for a single great reality that would unleash you, and set you free from small dreams, and send you, for the glory of Christ, into all the spheres of secular life and to all the peoples of the earth." This quote really got me to thinking. What is my passion? I think I'm gonna be praying about this very soon.
Chat with you soon!
In-joy,
Eileen and Crist




No comments:

Post a Comment