Monday, July 5, 2010

Away During 4th of July

Hi Everyone,
"I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts." Psalm 119:45

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:31b-32

"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love." Galatians 5:13

Ahh, freedom....it means different things to different peoples and nations. We in the United States are truly the free-est of all nations yet people are in bondage to so many things that hold us back from God's plan for our lives. Others are in bondage to their governments yet their souls are free and joy-filled. Which do we prefer? Which is best? Hard questions.

I LOVE fireworks so we really missed not being able to sit under the stars (with gazillions of mosquitoes) and watch them this year. We had been invited to a get-together for the 4th at Jason and Emilee's but it wasn't meant to be. Saturday night, through the night and all day on Sunday found me with the 24-hour stomach flu bug (or something). It was miserable - I was miserable. When you're going through it you think it will never end. Saltines and 7-Up were all that would go in and even they didn't last for long. I spent all day in bed yesterday (we missed the outing - phooey!) but Crist took such good care of me. After sleeping most of yesterday, who would think I would be able to sleep last night - but I did - and very very well at that. Today I feel like a new person.

Crist and Jason (he took the picture up above) are co-leading a Bible study with some of the village men. They asked to learn more about the Book of Romans (whew! - that's a tough one for your first study!) so the picture above is of the group. Crist said he felt the guys asked some insightful questions and they really WANT to grow and learn. That's so encouraging. They're meeting once a week at the Viewing Center. (Ah - maybe that's the real purpose behind the Viewing Center...) Please keep this group in your prayers. Many Nigerians call themselves Christians but there aren't many opportunities for spiritual growth and discipleship. Pray that these men will grow to be mighty warriors for the Lord in their families and village.

Hope you had a blessed 4th of July!

In-joy,
Eileen and Crist

No comments:

Post a Comment