Friday, May 21, 2010

May 21st- Friday Chapel at Hillcrest School




Hi All,


Remember me telling you that on Sunday, Crist and I attended worship services at Hillcrest Missionary School? It's an excellent school K-12th (O3rd in the entire country of Nigeria) and twice during the school year, each of the elementary classes has to lead Chapel on a Friday morning. Our grandson, Gus's class had Chapel this morning and my daughter, Corrie, and I attended. Chapel lasts about a half hour and it's wonderful. You feel like you're in church. The class responsible picks Scripture, songs, a skit, a play or whatever the class chooses to perform for those present (all the elementary school children as well as teachers and parents.).




This morning's Chapel from taken from the Scripture from I Kings 18 where King Ahab and Elijah are each trying to show whose God is the true God. Some of the children were the Israelites, some the Baal priests and a girl student was Elijah and there was King Ahab. Our grandson, Gus, was one of the two narrators (he's the one on the right in the photo). They acted out the play with great enthusiasm and joy and it was so good! After that two students read their original poems they wrote about their thoughts on the Scripture and I found myself with tears in my eyes as I sat watching. To think I was half way around the world in Nigeria watching the Living Lord be proclaimed by a roomful of elementary school children from all nationalities and cultures. Only God can do something like that.




There's a picture of the empty auditorium because I wanted you to see what it looks like as the church sanctuary on Sunday mornings. Each grade has one class ranging from 15 children to into the 30's. We are very thankful that we will be able to be a part of the Hillcrest community during this next year.




In-joy,


Eileen and Crist

2 comments: